top of page

Summer Crisis Program (SCP)



The Home Energy Assistance Summer Crisis Program provides a one-time benefit to eligible Ohioans with cooling assistance during the summer months. The program runs from July 1 to September 30.

The focus of the Summer Crisis Program is to provide assistance with electric utility bills, central air conditioning repairs, and air conditioning unit and/or fan purchases. Households with a household member who is either 60 years of age and older, has been diagnosed with COVID-19, or has a certified medical condition, and households who have a disconnect notice, have been shut off, or are trying to establish new electric service may be eligible for assistance. Ohioans enrolled in the Percentage of Income Payment Plan Plus (PIPP) Program are eligible for assistance towards their default PIPP payment, first PIPP payment, central air conditioning repairs, or may receive an air conditioning unit and/or fan.

Who is Eligible for the Summer Crisis Program?

Ohioans with a household income at or below 175 percent of the federal poverty guidelines and have a member of the household who is at least 60 years old, has been diagnosed with COVID-19, or can provide physician documentation that cooling assistance is needed for a household member's health, or households who have a disconnect notice, have been shut off, or are trying to establish new electric service.

How do I apply for the Summer Crisis Program?

You can begin your application online at but will need to set up an appointment with your local Energy Assistance Provider in order to complete the application.

When you apply, you will need to complete the Energy Assistance Application (English or Spanish) and submit copies of the following documents.

  • copies of your most recent utility bills

  • a list of all household members (include birth dates and Social Security numbers) and proof of income for everyone in the household over 18 years old for the last 30 days for each member (12 months preferred)

  • proof of citizenship or legal residency for all household members

  • proof of medical condition verified by a licensed physician or registered nurse practitioner


You will need to include: proof of income for the past 30 days and 12 months for each member, a copy of your recent fuel/utility bill, proof of medical condition signed by a doctor or nurse practitioner, and a list of all household members (including Social Security Numbers).

Please contact your local Energy Assistance Provider for a list of all required documents. Depending on your income type, additional forms may be required.  Samples of the additional forms can be found by clicking here.

SCP income.PNG
August Summer Crisis 2022.JPG
bottom of page